COVID-19 in India: Live Updates
May 05, 2021 – India reported 382,315 new cases and 3,780 fresh COVID fatalities in 24 hours. The total case tally is at 20,665,148, including 3,487,229 active cases, 16,951,731 discharged cases, and 226,188 deaths.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 160,494,188.
- The state of Himachal Pradesh has imposed curfew for 10 days starting Thursday night.
- Delhi reported 20,960 new cases, 19,209 discharges, and 311 deaths.
May 04, 2021 – India reported 357,229 new cases in 24 hours, taking the overall case count to 20,282,833. 3,449 new deaths were recorded, taking the death toll to 222,408. Active cases: 3,447,133; discharged cases: 16,613,292.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 158,932,921.
- Bihar state to impose lockdown till May 15, 2021.
May 03, 2021 – India recorded 370,082 fresh cases, 300,732 discharges, and 3,417 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. This brings India’s total cases to 19,919,855, including 3,410,371 active cases, 16,281,931 recoveries, and 218,947 deaths.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 157,198,207.
- The Supreme Court of India has asked the federal government as well as state governments to consider imposing lockdowns to break the chain and contain the second wave of the COVID in India.
- American pharma giant Pfizer has donated US$70 million worth of medicines to India as coronavirus aid amid the second wave
- Indian Air Force aircrafts deployed to airlift four cryogenic oxygen containers from Frankfurt in Germany to Hindon airbase in Delhi and 450 oxygen cylinders from Brize Norton in the UK to the Chennai airbase in Tamil Nadu.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced key decisions to boost the availability of medical personnel in fight against COVID-19. The final year MBBS students and BSc GNM-qualified nurses can be deployed for Covid duties.
April 30, 2021 – India records a single day rise of 386,452 new COVID-19 infections and 3,498 fatalities, pushing the country’s total tally to 18,762,976 cases and a death toll at 208,330.
April 29, 2021 – India recorded 379,257 fresh cases, 269,507 discharges, and 3,645 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. This brings India’s total cases to 18,376,524, including 3,084,814 active cases, 15,086,878 recoveries, and 204,832 deaths.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 150,020,648.
- Government COVID vaccination centers have received a fresh stock of the Covishield vaccine this morning; they will function after 12 pm.
- Two flights from Russia arrived this morning, carrying 20 oxygen concentrators, 75 ventilators, 150 bedside monitors, and medicines totaling 20 metric tons (MT).
- Flights from the US are set to arrive in Delhi from April 29 onwards, carrying oxygen concentrators, oxygen generation units, oxygen support, PPE kits, vaccine manufacturing supplies, rapid diagnostic tests, and therapeutics worth more than US$100 million.
- USAID, the US humanitarian aid agency, has provided relief worth US$23 million since the start of the pandemic, which has directly reached 10 million Indians. It is currently procuring 1,000 more oxygen concentrators, to be used in 230 primary healthcare facilities.
April 28, 2021 – India recorded 360,960 fresh cases, 261,162 discharges, and 3,293 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. This brings the total number of reported cases to 17,997,267, including 2,978,709 active cases, 14,817,371 recoveries, and 201,187 deaths.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 147,827,367.
- Singapore Air Force’s C-130s arrived this morning, carrying 256 oxygen cylinders.
- Air India to airlift 10,636 oxygen concentrators from several countries in the next seven days.
- The Phase-3 COVID vaccination drive seems unlikely to begin from May 1 due to the shortage of supplies. The central government had made the decision, earlier this month, to allow various state governments and private hospitals to provide free vaccinations to all those who are above 18 years of age; however, it seems that Bharat Biotech may be able to send more vaccines to the states and private hospitals only by the third week of May.
- Registration for vaccinations for those aged 18 and above to begin on http://cowin.gov.in at 4 pm on April 28. Again, appointments at state government centers and private centers will depend on
April 27, 2021 – India recorded 323,144 fresh cases, 251,827 discharges, and 2,771 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. This brings India’s total case tally to 17,636,307, including 2,882,204 active cases, 14,556,209 recoveries, and 197,894 deaths.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 145,271,186
- France will provide India with oxygen generators, liquid oxygen, and ventilators.
- The US will share 60 million AstraZeneca vaccine doses with the world, when it is ready.
- This morning, a UK shipment of medical supplies, including 100 ventilators and 95 oxygen concentrators, arrived in India.
- Today the Indian railways delivered nearly 450 tons of oxygen, and a further 6 loaded tankers carrying 90 tons more are en route to pick up oxygen for Uttar Pradesh.
- The Delhi government has decided to provide free vaccinations to all who are above the age of 18.
- Uttarakhand to provide free vaccinations to those between 18 to 45 years of age.
April 26, 2021 – India reports 352,991 fresh cases, 219,272 discharges, and 2,812 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. India’s total cases are at 17,313,163, including 2,813,658 active cases, 14,304,382 recoveries, and death toll of 195,123.
- Lockdown in Delhi extended to 5am, May 3, 2021.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 141,911,223
- An Air India flight, carrying 250 oxygen concentrators and other medical supplies from Singapore, landed in Mumbai last night.
- More than 300 oxygen concentrators were dispatched from New York on Sunday morning, set to land in New Delhi by noon.
- As per Foreign Minister Heiko Mass, Germany will send oxygen and medical aid to India to help it tackle its COVID crisis.
- Maharashtra and J&K announce free vaccines for beneficiaries between 18 and 45 years of age.
April 23, 2021 – India reports 332,730 fresh cases, 193,279 discharges, and 2,263 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. As of Friday morning, India has recorded 16,263,695 total cases, including 242,616 active cases, 13,648,159 recoveries and 186,920 deaths.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 135,478,420.
- The C-17 and IL-76 aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) have begun airlifting big oxygen tanks from their place of use to the filling stations across the country, in order to speed up distribution of the much needed oxygen.
- Prime Minister Modi will chair a meeting with the Chief Ministers (CMs) of all high burden states today, over the prevailing COVID situation.
- From May 1 onwards, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Assam, Madhya Pradesh, and Jharkhand will all provide free vaccination to all citizens who are 18 and above. Sikkim and Goa will provide free vaccination to those between 18 to 45.
- The state of Maharashtra has reintroduced the e-pass system for ‘extreme emergency’ inter-state and inter-district travel. “People have to apply on https://covid19.mhpolice.in/ and submit the necessary documents and mention the reason for their extreme emergency travel.” New restrictions on travel, office attendance, and number of guests allowed / scope of wedding functions in the state came into force on Thursday (April 22) night.
April 22, 2021 – India is reporting 314,835 new cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, which is the highest spike recorded anywhere in the world, and 2,104 COVID fatalities. Total active cases are at 2,291,428 and the death toll has reached 184,657. Total case count is 15,930,965 and total recoveries 13,454,880.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 132,330,644
- India’s steelmakers Steel Authority of India, Tata Steel, JSW Steel, ArcelorMittal, Nippon etc. are ramping up the production of oxygen at their industrial plants, responding to a call from the government to support the struggling healthcare system, which has recorded several COVID deaths due to oxygen shortages.
- India is taking steps to ramp up availability of Remdesivir to 7.8 million vials per month from the 3.6 million vials now. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said: “Some of these measures include rapid clearances for new capacities, stopping exports, stopping the exports of APIs and formulations used in the manufacture of this life saving drug, and allowing EoUs and manufacturers located in SEZs to also sell in the domestic market.”
- Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh announces free vaccine for all above age 18 from May 1 onwards.
April 21, 2021 – The Times of India reporting that “At 294,291, Tuesday’s national case count was nearly three times higher than the peak of 98,795 daily infections recorded during the first [COVID-19] wave on September 17”, last year.
- The central government has reportedly worked out a schedule for the allocation of the drug Remdesivir (used in patients on oxygen support) for a period of 10 days starting from Wednesday, April 21.
- The state of Maharashtra has imposed restrictions and Section 144 till May 1, in the wake of the tense COVID-19 situation.
- The state of Uttar Pradesh has decided to administer COVID-19 vaccine shots free of cost to all those above 18 years of age from May 1.
- Senior officials quoted in the media state that while the government will be allowing sale of COVID vaccines in the open market starting May 1, the vaccine shots will not be available for sale at chemists or pharmacies. Only hospitals and approved vaccination centers can administer the shots.
April 20, 2021 – India reported 259,170 new cases and 1,761 deaths in the last 24 hours: MoHFW.
- Active cases in the country: 2,031,977; Total recoveries: 13,108,582; Death toll: 180,530. Total coronavirus cases in India have thus reached 15,321,089.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 12,7129,113
- India will waive its 10% customs duty on imported COVID-19 vaccines
- Anyone above 18 years will now be eligible to receive anti-COVID shots from May 1, 2021
April 19, 2021 – Delhi has announced total curfew from tonight 10PM to next Monday morning 5AM, an extension from this weekend’s curfew. Only government offices and essential services will be open, according to sources speaking to the media. (Last year, the capital was under complete lockdown between March 22 and May 18 and thereafter reopened in phases.)
- Delhi and Maharashtra recorded their biggest ever single-day surge in COVID-19 cases on Sunday. While Delhi reported 25,462 cases (nearly 30% positivity rate) and 161 deaths over 24 hours, Maharashtra logged 68,631 COVID-19 infections and 503 fatalities, as per government data. On Saturday, Delhi had reported 24,375 COVID cases and 167 deaths.
- India has reported a record spike of 273,810 coronavirus cases and 1,619 COVID fatalities in the last 24 hours. Total cases: 15,061,919; Active cases: 1,929,329; Total recoveries: 12,953,821; Death toll: 178,769.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 123,852,566
April 16, 2021 – India recorded 217,353 new COVID-19 cases and 1,185 deaths in 24 hours. Total cases: 14,291,917; active cases: 1,569,743; discharged cases: 12,547,866; death toll: 174,308. Delhi has surpassed Mumbai in COVID-19 cases to become the worst-hit city in India
- Maharashtra state-owned Haffkine Institute granted permission to manufacture local COVID-19 vaccine, COVAXIN, with transfer of technology from Bharat Biotech
- Total vaccine doses administered: 117,223,509
April 15, 2021 – India reported another single-day high, with 200,739 fresh cases of COVID-19, and recorded 1,038 deaths in the last 24 hours (as of 08:00 IST). Active cases in the country are now at 1,471,877; total recoveries: 12,429,564; and death toll: 173,123.
- Weekend curfew announced in the capital, Delhi, after latest spike in cases. List of what is allowed: essential services; marriages and such permitted activities will get curfew passes; gyms, pools, and malls will be closed; cinema halls can run at 30 percent capacity; only one weekly market will be allowed per day per zone; no dine-in, only takeaways allowed from restaurants.
- In Maharashtra, only ‘essential goods’ can be delivered via e-commerce in the state until May 1 under new COVID-19 regulations while the state of Haryana has permitted ‘e-commerce supplies of essential items’ during the night curfew hours (10PM to 5AM). There appears to be much confusion over what is deemed essential and non-essential.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 114,493,238
- National-level school exams have been affected: the exams for the CBSE 10th grade stand cancelled, those for CBSE 12th grade have been postponed, according to the notification from the education ministry.
- Delhi recorded 17,282 more infections and 104 deaths in 24 hours.
- Labor migrants in the state of Maharashtra are reportedly returning to their home states fearing the consequences of the recently begun night curfew.
April 14, 2021 – Indian states that have hit an all-time daily spike of COVID-19 infections are: Uttar Pradesh (18,021 new cases), Chhattisgarh (15,121 new cases), Delhi (13,468 new cases), Madhya Pradesh (8,998), Gujarat (6,690), Bengal (4,817), and Bihar (4,157).
- India reported 184,372 new COVID-19 cases and 1,027 deaths in the last 24 hours. Total case tally is at 13,873,825 and the death toll has risen to 172,085. Total active COVID-19 cases in India are at 1,365,704. So far, 12,336,036 COVID-19 patients have recovered/been discharged.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 111,179,578
- The state of Maharashtra is invoking Section 144 from today to limit public movement. For 15 days starting from today, only employees from essential services allowed to commute from public transport.
- The Delhi government is identifying stable patients in various hospitals to send them home or to COVID Care Centers. Also, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced yesterday the postponement of planned surgeries for three months in all Delhi government hospitals.
April 13, 2021 – India reported 161,736 new cases of COVID-19 and 879 deaths in the last 24 hours. Active cases in the country reach 1,264698. So far, 12,253,697 people have recovered from COVID-19 and the death toll has reached 171,058.
- Total vaccine doses administered in India: 108,533,085
- India has approved emergency use of Russia’s Sputnik V against COVID-19 and will produce more than 850 million doses in the country annually: Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF). This is the third vaccine approved by India. Sputnik V has recorded the highest effectiveness at 91.6 percent – after the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. Limited doses will be available in India by end-April.
- RDIF has reached agreements with five pharmaceutical firms to produce Sputnik V in India: Gland Pharma, Hetero Biopharma, Panacea Biotec, Stelis Biopharma, Virchow Biotech.
April 12, 2021 – Total coronavirus cases in India reached 13,527,717 as 168,912 new COVID-19 infections were recorded overnight, according to data from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on Monday. The ministry recorded 75,086 discharges and 904 deaths in India in the last 24 hours, as on 08:00 IST and 1,201,009 active cases. The death toll is at 170,179.
- India overtakes Brazil as the second worst affected country in the world by COVID-19. The US leads the total case tally at 31.2 million, followed by India and Brazil (13.45 million). Previously, India’s active caseload was at its lowest at 135,926 on February 12, 2021 and was at its highest at 1,017,754 on September 18, 2020.
- As of April 12, 2021, the COVID caseload in India has increased for 33 consecutive days and active cases comprise 8.88 percent of the total tally.
- Total vaccine doses administered in India: 104,528,565
April 11, 2021 – India reported 152,879 new COVID-19 cases, 90,584 discharges, and 839 deaths in the last 24 hours, as of 08:00 IST: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- Maharashtra state administers a total 1,003,842,110 vaccine doses.
- Delhi records 10,732 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours. The Delhi government says 65 percent of its active cases are among those below 35 years. However, as per the country’s current public health policy, India’s vaccination program is eligible for those who are 45 years and above.
April 10, 2021 – India reported 145,384 new COVID-19 cases and 1,046,631 active cases in the last 24 hours as of 08:00 IST.
- The state of Maharashtra reported 55,411 new COVID-19 cases and 309 deaths over 24 hours. Total active cases in state are at 536,682. Mumbai reported 9,327 new COVID-19 cases and 50 deaths in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of cases in city to 510,225 (Source: ANI)
- Total vaccine doses administered in India: 101.28 million; total people fully vaccinated: 12.66 million (Source: Times of India).
April 9, 2021 – India reports 131,968 fresh cases, 61,899 discharges, and 780 deaths in the last 24 hours. Currently, India has 13,060,542 total cases, including 979,608 active cases, 11,913,292 recoveries, and death toll of 167,642.
- Maharashtra reporting 56,286 fresh cases, bringing its tally of total cases to 3,229,547 according to the health department.
- Delhi reporting 7,437 fresh cases, highest single-day spike in 2021.
April 8, 2021 – India reports 126,789 fresh cases, 59,258 discharges, and 685 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. Total reported cases: 12,928,574 total cases, including 910,319 active cases, 11,851,393 recoveries, and death toll at 166,862.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 90,198,673
- Starting April 11, persons aged 45 years of age and above can be vaccinated at private and public workplaces. These beneficiaries will be required to register on the Co-WIN portal prior to vaccination, and the sessions will begin if at least 50 beneficiaries have registered. However, a schedule for the vaccination sessions can be made up to 15 days in advance.
- Maharashtra reporting over 55,000 fresh cases in the last 24 hours.
- Delhi reporting 5,506 fresh cases.
- Prime Minster Modi to hold meeting with Chief Ministers (CMs) today at 6:30 pm regarding COVID management.
April 7, 2021 – India reported 115,736 fresh cases, 59,856 discharges, and 630 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry. India’s total cases are at 12,801,785, including 843,472 active cases, 11,792,135 recoveries, and 166,177 deaths.
- Total vaccinations: 87,077,474
- Till 8 pm yesterday, 562,807 vaccine doses were administered.
- Maharashtra reporting 55,469 fresh cases, 34,256 recoveries, and 297 deaths in the last 24 hours. Total cases: 3,113,354 cases; active cases: 472,283; recoveries: 2,583,331 recoveries; death toll: 56,330.
- Delhi reporting 3,548 fresh cases in the last 24 hours.
- Delhi High Court rules wearing mask is mandatory even if a person is driving alone, stating that even if a private car is occupied by one person, it is still a public space.
- Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Rajasthan, and Goa are among states to report a fresh influx of cases today, bringing the figure between them to 12,036.
- The top five worst affected states are Maharashtra (3,113,354), Kerala (1,135,233), Karnataka (1,015,155), Andhra Pradesh (907,676), and Tamil Nadu (899,807).
April 6, 2021 – India reports single-day rise of 96,982 cases with 446 new COVID-linked fatalities, pushing the death toll to 165,547 and total tally of cases to 12,686,049. Union health ministry says a total of 788,223 active cases have been recorded, out of which 11,732,279 have recovered.
- Total vaccinations: 83,110,926 vaccinations. From April 1 onwards, all persons who are 45 years of age and above are eligible to take any one of the two available COVID-19 vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin.
- New Delhi has imposed a night curfew from 10 pm to 5 am till April 30, effective immediately.
- Movement of essential goods and services will carry on. Buses, metros, autos, taxis and other public modes of transport will be allowed to ferry only those people who are exempt from the night curfew.
- Passengers travelling to airports and railways will be exempted only if they have valid tickets.
- Pregnant women and persons visiting hospitals will be exempted, private doctors, nurses and paramedical staff will be exempted if they have been given night curfew ID cards.
- Telangana reported 1,498 cases in the last 24 hours, highest number in over five months. The state’s cumulative tally now sits at 314,735.
- Nagpur records 47,288 fresh cases.
- Uttarakhand reported 547 fresh cases, taking the total number to 102,811 cases.
- Mizoram’s tally rises to 4,500 cases.
- Jharkhand reports total 128,332 positive cases: 5,882 active cases 121,310 recoveries, and death toll of 1,140.
- Mumbai reported total 462,302 cases: 74,422 active cases, 374,985 recoveries, and 11,797 deaths.
- Gujarat reported total 321,598 cases: 16,252 cases, 300,765 discharges, and 4,581 deaths.
- Maharashtra reported total 3,057,885 cases: 451,375 active cases, 2,549,075 discharges, and death toll at 56,033.
- Andhra Pradesh reported total 909,002 cases: 10,710 active cases, 891,048 recoveries, and total 7,244 deaths.
- Rajasthan reported total 341,754 cases: 14,768 active cases, 324,145 recoveries, and 2,841 deaths.
- Karnataka reported total 1,020,434: 42,483 active cases, 965,275 discharges and 12,657 deaths.
- Madhya Pradesh reported 3,398 fresh cases, 2,064 recoveries and 15 deaths.
- Uttar Pradesh reported 3,999 fresh cases and 13 deaths.
- Puducherry reported 237 fresh cases, total tally touches 42,776 cases.
April 5, 2021 – India’s daily cases rise from 20,000 to 100,000 in just 25 days.
- 4,300,966 vaccinations were administered today.
- New Delhi recorded 3,548 fresh cases and 15 deaths within the last 24 hours, taking the overall tally to 679,962 cases.
April 4, 2021 – New Delhi reported 4,033 new cases, highest single-day tally in 2021.
Managing your India business during COVID-19
We are also tracking the pandemic in other major regions as well as provide business advisory for China and ASEAN.
China coronavirus updates
Indian businesses with operations in China should follow our China coronavirus advisory here.
Asia coronavirus updates
Indian businesses with operations in ASEAN countries should follow our Asia coronavirus advisory here.
Complimentary business subscription
To subscribe to our India and other Asia Briefing services, free of charge, please click here.
- Establishing a Foreign Company in India In this issue of India Briefing, we provide information on establishing a company in India. We discuss the country’s current business environment, explain the entity structures available to foreign investors in India as well as their functionalities and requirements. Lastly, we answer frequently asked questions.
- Due Diligence for Foreign Companies in India In this issue of India Briefing, we provide information on conducting due diligence in India. We first focus on what is due diligence, and why foreign companies should engage in this process before investing in India. Next, we discuss different types of due diligence and explain their requirements and importance. Lastly, we answer some frequently asked questions.
- Audit in India In this issue of India Briefing, we provide readers with an overview of India’s audit types and processes, including general requirements and materials to be prepared. Lastly, we cover key aspects of conducting the new GST audit, including the types of GST audits, general procedures, and document requirements.
India Briefing is produced by Dezan Shira & Associates. The firm assists foreign investors throughout Asia from offices across the world, including in Delhi and Mumbai. Readers may write to email@example.com for more support on doing business in in India.
We also maintain offices or have alliance partners assisting foreign investors in Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Italy, Germany, and the United States, in addition to practices in Bangladesh and Russia.