Import and Export Licensing Procedures in India

Posted by Written by Dezan Shira & Associates Reading Time: 5 minutes

To learn about establishing an export-import business in India, read our article here.

To view the latest trends on India’s exports and imports (FY2018-19), click here.

India’s import and export system is governed by the Foreign Trade (Development & Regulation) Act of 1992 (full text) and India’s Export Import (EXIM) Policy.

Import and export of all goods are free, except for the items regulated by the EXIM policy or any other law currently in force. Registration with regional licensing authority is a prerequisite for the import and export of goods. The customs will not allow for clearance of goods unless the importer has obtained an Import Export Code (IEC) from the regional authority.

Import Policy

The Indian Trade Classification (ITC)-Harmonized System (HS) classifies goods into three categories:

  1. Restricted
  2. Canalized
  3. Prohibited

Goods not specified in the above mentioned categories can be freely imported without any restriction, if the importer has obtained a valid IEC. There is no need to obtain any import license or permission to import such goods. Most of the goods can be freely imported in India.

Licensed (Restricted) Items
Restricted items can be imported only after obtaining an import license from the relevant regional licensing authority. The goods covered by the license shall be disposed of in the manner specified by the license authority, which should be clearly indicated in the license itself. The list of restricted goods is provided in ITC (HS). An import license is valid for 24 months for capital goods, and 18 months for all other goods.

Canalized Items
Canalized goods are items which may only be imported using specific procedures or methods of transport. The list of canalized goods can be found in the ITC (HS). Goods in this category can be imported only through canalizing agencies. The main canalized items are currently petroleum products, bulk agricultural products, such as grains and vegetable oils, and some pharmaceutical products.

Prohibited Items
These are the goods listed in ITC (HS) which are strictly prohibited on all import channels in India. These include wild animals, tallow fat and oils of animal origin, animal rennet, and unprocessed ivory.

Export Policy

Just like imports, goods can be exported freely if they are not mentioned in the classification of ITC (HS). Below follows the classification of goods for export:

  • Restricted
  • Prohibited
  • State Trading Enterprise

Restricted Goods
Before exporting any restricted goods, the exporter must first obtain a license explicitly permitting the exporter to do so. The restricted goods must be exported through a set of procedures/conditions, which are detailed in the license.

Prohibited Goods
These are the items which cannot be exported at all. The vast majority of these include wild animals, and animal articles that may carry a risk of infection.

State Trading Enterprise (STE)
Certain items can be exported only through designated STEs. The export of such items is subject to the conditions specified in the EXIM policy.

Types of Duties

There are many types of duties that are levied in India on imports and exports. A list of these duties follows below:

Basic Duty
Basic duty is the typical tax rate that is applied to goods. The rates of custom duties are specified in the First and Second Schedules of the Customs Tariff Act of 1975. The First Schedule contains rates of import duty, and the second schedule contains rates of export duties. Most of the items in India are exempt from custom duty, which is generally levied on imports.

The first schedule contains two rates: Standard rate and preferential rate. The preferential rate is lower than the standard rate. When goods are imported from a place specified by the central government (CG) for lower rates, the preferential rate is applicable. In any other case, the standard rate will be applicable. If the CG has signed a trade agreement with the country of origin, then the CG may opt to charge a lower basic duty than indicated in the first schedule.

IGST and Compensation Cess

Additional duties of customs, commonly referred to as the Countervailing Duty (CVD) and Special Additional Duty of Customs (SAD), has been be replaced by the levy of the Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST), barring a few exceptions, such as pan masala and certain petroleum products. The IGST replaces the previous system of federal and state categories of indirect taxation.

Customs Duty calculator is made available on the online portal of excise and customs, the ICEGATE website. There are seven rates prescribed for IGST– Nil, 0.25 percent, 3 percent 5 percent, 12 percent, 18 percent, and 28 percent. The actual rate applicable to an item will depend on its classification and will be specified in Schedules notified under Section 5 of the IGST Act, 2017.

Further, a few items such as aerated water products, tobacco products, and motor vehicles, among others, will attract an additional levy of the GST Compensation Cess, over and above IGST. The Cess is calculated on the transaction value or the price at which the goods are sold.

The Goods and Services Tax (Compensation to States) Act, 2017 was enacted to levy Compensation Cess for providing compensation to Indian states for the loss of revenue arising on account of implementation of the Goods and Services Tax from July 1, 2017. 

The Compensation Cess on goods imported into India shall be levied and collected in accordance with the provisions of Section 3 of the Customs Tariff Act, 1975, at the point when duties of customs are levied on the said goods under Section 12 of the Customs Act, 1962, on a value determined under the Customs Tariff Act, 1975.

Anti-Dumping Duty

This is levied on specific goods imported from specified countries – including the US – to protect Indian industries. India can impose duties up to, but not exceeding, the margin of dumping, or the difference between the normal value and the export price.

Safeguard Duty

A safeguard duty is a tariff designed to provide protection to domestic goods, favoring them over imported items. If the government determines that increased imports of certain items are having a significantly detrimental effect on domestic competitors, it may opt to levy this duty on those imports to discourage their proliferation.

However, the duty does not apply to articles imported from developing countries.

The government may exempt imports of any article from this duty. The notification issued by the government in this regard is valid for four years, subject to further extension. However, the total period cannot exceed 10 years from the date of first imposition.

Social Welfare Surcharge

The Education Cess and Secondary and Higher Education Cess on imported goods is now abolished and replaced by the Social Welfare Surcharge. This surcharge will be levied at the rate of 10 percent of the aggregate duties of customs, on imported goods.


Customs duty is payable as a percentage of ‘Value’ which is known as ‘Assessable Value’ or ‘Customs Value.’ The Value may be either:

  • ‘Value’ as defined in Section 14 (1) of the Customs Act; or
  • ‘Tariff Value’ described under Section 14 (2) of the Customs Act.

Tariff Value – the Tariff Value is fixed by the Central Board of Indirect taxes and Customs (CBIC) for any class of imported goods or export goods. Authorities will consider the trend of value of the goods in question while fixing tariff value. Once fixed, the duty is payable as a percentage of this value.

The value of imported goods for the assessment of duty is determined in accordance with the provisions of Section 14 of 1962 and the Customs Valuation (Determination of Value of Imported Goods) Rules, 2007. According to the rules, the assessable value equal the transaction value of goods as adjusted for freight and cost of insurance, loading, unloading and handling charges.

In the assessable value, the following criteria are included:

  • Commission and brokerage;
  • Cost of container, which are treated as being one with the goods for customs purposes;
  • Cost of packing – labour or materials;
  • Materials, components, tools, etc. supplied by buyer;
  • Royalties and license fees;
  • Value of proceeds of subsequent sales;
  • Other payment as condition of sale of goods being valued;
  • Cost of transport up to place of importation;
  • Landing charges; and,
  • Cost of insurance.

The following costs are excluded from the assessable value:

  • Charges for construction, erection, assembly, maintenance or technical assistance undertaken after importation of plant, machinery or equipment;
  • Cost of transport after importation;
  • Duties and taxes in India; and,
  • Types of duties on exports and imports in India are covered in the Customs Tariff Act 1975. The Act provides all the laws and regulations related to customs in India.

Customs Handling Fee

The Indian government assesses a one percent customs handling fee on all imports in addition to the applied customs duty.

About Us

India Briefing is published by Asia Briefing, a subsidiary of Dezan Shira & Associates. We produce material for foreign investors throughout Eurasia, including ASEANChinaIndonesiaRussia, the Silk Road, & Vietnam. For editorial matters please contact us here and for a complimentary subscription to our products, please click here.

Dezan Shira & Associates provide business intelligence, due diligence, legal, tax and advisory services throughout India and the Asian region. We maintain offices in Delhi and Mumbai and throughout China, South-East Asia, India, and Russia. For assistance with India investment issues or into Asia overall, please contact us at or visit us at

113 thoughts on “Import and Export Licensing Procedures in India

    Very good article. Additionally, you may even want to hire service of import export experts such as Global4PL. It helps businesses to apply for necessary import/export licenses or permits.

    Wong Hao says:

    I would like to import semi-conductors from China to India. What are the India import duties?

    Gunjan says:

    @ Wong Hao, Import Duty for Semi-Conductors is 29.28%.

    Tim Burgess says:

    An interesting article, thank you. Is it possible to sell auto components into India exported from China? Does it matter which India Port I send them too? Plus what are the VAT and GST tax rates? Thanks.

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Thanks Tim, I am glad you liked our article. You can sell auto-components imported from China, the port chosen for imports does makes a difference, for facts, the port charges and services provided for clearance of goods, vary. The current duty on import of Auto components is 26.85%.

    Best Regards

    Zhang Ying Jia says:

    Please be answering what is the import duty in India for rechargeable batteries and solar powered lights

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Zhang Ying Jia,

    Import duty of 29.28% is levied on rechargeable batteries and solar powered lights.

    Best Regards

    Nilesh says:

    pl. let me know what is the pre requisite to import a food processing machinery in India. we don’t have IEC. Is it compulsory to take IEC for this one time capital machinery import ? or we can have other alternate for the same?

    Is food processing machinery import is free in India or some approvals needed for the same?

    pl. also provide how much duty is applicable to such machinery.

    Thanks & Regards,


    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Nilesh,

    It is a pre-requisite to avail IEC before executing any transaction of export/ Import in India. The present effective rate of custom duty on food processing machines is 23.26%.


    Karthik says:

    Hi Guys,

    I am planning to import cheese from Australia.

    Just wondering if cheese come under restricted,canalized or prohibited items at all ?

    Is there any special document requirements for importing cheese ?

    You advise will be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance


    Nishanth says:

    Hi Gunjan, this is a really informative site, much appreciated. i would like to know the procedure of importing building materials like floor & wall tiles/kitchen accessories and bathroom accessories to to india for personal use and the rates of import duty and various taxes. kindly advise. thanks.

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Nishanth,

    Thanks for your Appreciation!

    To import for personal use, import permission need to be secured from government authorities. The nature of the permission i.e. General or specific imparted by the government in accordance with the need and requirement of the importer. Upon receipt of goods at port the commodities have to be cleared from custom authorities by submission of requisite documents like import permission, receipt of duty paid and likewise.
    The applicable rate of Import duty on ceramic tiles is @ 22.13 % and Sanitary Ware is @ 29.57 %. Post importation, the product is liable for transportation and port charges.

    Best Regards

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Karthik,

    Import of cheese is not subject to prohibited or canalised items, there is no apparent notification/ circular restricting the import of this product. Further, the import of Food items is subject to test check at the time of import, for any adulteration, you need to secure a Food License for trading in food items in India.

    Best Regards

    syed says:

    What is the best way to import limited container loads from China into India, especially is we are in a land locked place? What are the applicable duties on hardware items like cutting discs and stereo headphones? What paperwork required to consummate the process with relative ease? We have obtained an IE code.

    Appreciate a quick response.
    BTW, this is a very well written article with amazing clarity. Well done.

    Best regards,

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Syed,

    Thanks for your appreciation, we are glad that you liked our article.

    The goods are advised to transport to nearby sea-port as importing goods by road or airway may prove dearer. The shipping charges and custom clearance costs are based on the size of container and may vary for ports. The customs duty levied on cutting discs and Headphones, shall be 29.59 %.

    Following documents are mandatory:

    1. Bill of Entry;
    2. Commercial invoice;
    3. Bill of Lading;
    4. Certificate of Insurance;
    5. Letter of credit
    6. Importer’s license

    Please also note the document requirement varies for different ports, you are advised to ensure all the necessary checks are conducted in this respect.

    Best Regards

    chintan says:

    Hello Gunjan

    This is Chintan from Mumbai.I m planning to import 3d scanner from china. I have IEC code , VAT/TIN, what will be the custom duty for same. is it possible to bring this scanner while returning from china to Mumbai? the total weight is around 15kg.
    Thanking you.


    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Chintan,

    The Custom duty applicable on 3D scanner is 18%; For the commodities brought along with are governed by Baggage rules issued by Customs Department, items which have been utilized for personal use can be brought without any payment of Taxes, subject to satisfaction of officials that the product has been used earlier, and need to be satisfied with the customs authorities.
    However, new items cannot be brought without the payment of duty.

    Best Regards,

    kaushik says:


    We are in planning of import the over issued the news paper from south africa to india.

    pls. guide us that there is any import duty or only landing charges on it.

    pls. also guide tha HS code for the same.


    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Kaushik,

    There is import duty on the import of newsprint print paper import. The present rate of import duty is 10.40%; government is likely to consider changes in this.
    The HS Code is 48010090 for scrap newspapers and for general news papers the HS code is 49021010; there are restrictions implied by Director General of Foreign Trade on the import of news papers for general use.

    Best Regards

    Sonal says:

    Hi Gunjan,

    What will be the documents required to import industrial electrical items and iron materials (casting & others) from china. Till now I only hv the Vat & cst no. With me and which all taxes and how much will be the tax % charged???


    Abishek says:

    Please let me know if I need an export license for exporting textiles, jewellery and bags from India.
    Also, if my export quantities are very small, example net profit is only Rs 30,000 do I still need an export license?

    Please let me know at the earliest. Great Site.


    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Abhishek,

    The import export license is required for all imports or exports out of India.

    Best Regards

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Sonal,

    For importing, you may require an import export license as basic requirement, the taxes will be charged on the basis of the product’s classification as per HS codes, the tax of 24.5 % – 29.114 % may be charged on the goods.


    Hi Gunjan

    I went through abv articles & all are really very nice, tips are correct & very informative.
    Good job & really appeciated !

    I just wanted to know some products which are easy to export from india without any more customs interference or intervene, should be free flow export products & also want to know duty on heavy eaerthmoving equipments parts/ like crane parts, hitachi & JCB Spare parts etc

    Also is it necessary to have a plant for import HMS 1 / 2 ? also want to know how LC works under import or export both. Pls advise.

    God bless u, Keep it up ……… Regards … Mukesh

    Sanjeev says:

    Hi Gunjan,
    Is 3D printers considered as restricted entity requiring me to have an import license or IEC. I would like to import 3D printers but we are not importers.
    Please advise.

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Sanjeev,

    The 3 D printers require an additional BIS certification to import them, the relevant HS code for 3D printers is 8471 6029.


    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Mukesh,

    Most of the products are free to export from India, unless, they are listed on the restricted schedule, which is a ‘negative list’ of exports.

    The following are some of the top export items from India-

    1. Jewellery
    2. Vehicles
    3. Electronic items like TV
    4. Iron & Steel
    5. Organic chemicals/fertilizers.

    Major import of HMS is under the code 7204 4900 (Iron steel – Other). This item is free to import. There are no requirements for a machine or plant.

    For automobiles and earth moving equipments, rate of Duty = 12%

    Letter of credit is issued by the bank of the buyer to the seller, assuring the latter that he will be paid on successful shipment of the goods


    Charles says:

    Hi Gunjan
    i have planned to import laptop accessories from china and sell it in india, i am having IEC,please let me know that,
    1. Should i have to get any patent/IPR/details regarding dealership from a chinese manufacturer for selling products in india.
    2. What will be the approx. Cost of custom duty if the gross cost of the materials is Rs. 72000, which includes transport charges.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Charles,

    HS CODE: 84713010
    Portable digital automatic data processing machines, weighing not more than 10 kg. Consisting of at least a central processing unit, a keyboard and a display: Personal computer
    Rate of Duty = 0%.

    Patent details of the product will be helpful in getting the clearance with customs in India, a copy of all relevant documents must be preserved for future use.

    Best Regards

    Rama says:

    Hi Gunjan,

    This is a wonderful ,informative article. Great effort. Many many thanks.

    what is the procedure and official requirements to import sun glasses/lenses/eye glasses from London/America/china .
    what is the tax% on these items. Eagerly wait for your reply.

    Your help is much appreciated.


    Gunjan Sinha says:

    Hi Rama,

    Thank you, i am glad that you like our articles.

    The import duty on Spectacles, goggles and the like. (HS Code – 9004 1000)
    Rate of import duty = 29%


    Eric says:

    Hi Gunjan,
    excellent article and very informative replies! Thanks so much for sharing your expertise with us!

    My question, like Mukesh, is about the import of HMS 1 & 2.
    What would the Effective Duty Rate be for this? The information available via the internet is often outdated and can be confusing. I have seen that in May 2013, the Indian Government raised the rate from 0% to 2.5% on this, but surely this is not the effective rate.
    Your help and expertise are much appreciated!

    Andy says:

    Hi Gunjan,

    Very informative articles and a useful website.

    Like most people here I also have some questions to ask. I have a registered business and an IEC code and now I am trying to get into trading/importing Waste Paper and Metal Scrap from US, UK and Dubai.

    I do have a silly questions that I very confused with. I do not understand how this process of supplying this scrap to end clients in India on CIF basis work?

    I buy the material from overseas supplier, and the overseas supplier ships the consignment to my requested port. Then from the destination port how do I supply it to my client on CIF basis? Wouldn’t the shipment be under my or my company name? How could I supply it to my end clients on CIF basis without disclosing my overseas contact or supplier information to them? wouldn’t the end client need that information for custom clearance and tax & duty purposes?

    Thank you in advance for helping me out Gunjan.


    Tarun Manik says:

    I can answer your questions as follows:

    (1) Wouldn’t the shipment be under my or my company name? – TM: Yes the shipment will be in your company name.

    (2) How could I supply it to my end clients on CIF basis without disclosing my overseas contact or supplier information to them? – TM: Non-disclosure is not possible in this scenario.

    (3) wouldn’t the end client need that information for custom clearance and tax & duty purposes? – TM: Yes the end client will need this information.

    Best regards;
    Tarun Manik (TM)

    Andy says:

    Hi Tarun Malik (TM),

    I appreciate your help.

    Does that mean if I sell my imported consignment on CIF basis at the destination port to my end client… i have to disclose my Base Purchase Price to my end Client? I also have to disclose my source of import to my end client? what if on next transaction my end client decides to bypass me and buy directly from my supplier? how to i keep myself in a safe position without disclosing my supplier and my base price?

    Any suggestions? Any idea how people normally sell their consignment on CIF basis generally for example for scrap import?

    Please help
    Best Regards

    Jay says:

    I want to Import branded mobile phones from hong kong -Touch screen. (Samsung, Google nexus, HTC)
    Value of about 1 lakh INR (Shipping included)
    What would the rate at which Duty is calculated?

    Any help will be appreciated.


    Tarun Manik says:

    @Jay: Duty will be calculated on cell phones @ 1.04%

    Gagan says:

    Hi Gunjan,

    I must apprciate your help provided agaist earlier queries.

    I need your advise since i am planning to get an export license to export automotive spare parts and agriculture spare parts.

    What is the procedure to get export license in Delhi and what are the overhead expenses i have to be aware of while exporting goods.

    Lastly, what kind of documents i need from the buyer.

    Appreciate your help

    Keep on the good work in enlighting fellow collegues

    Manohar says:

    I want to export agricultural products from india(Tamil nadu). What is the procedure for getting export licence ie,IEC code. And what are the licence we have to get.
    Thank you

    Anirban says:

    Hi Gunjan,
    I want to import ornamental fishes either from singapore or malaysia. Cost of the total shipment including freight charges approx 1,50,000/- What will be the import duty for the shipment. Apart from that I want to know that is there any mandatory rules that i have to import 12 times in a year or any particular amount in Rupees.

    Abdul sattar says:

    Hi this is abdul sattar from karnataka
    I need what are the procedure to bring the recycle plastic from sauide Arab and what are the customs rate of recycle material and for scrap import

    abhay says:

    hi gunjan,

    i am planning to import pharmaceutical raw material (medicinal drugs) from china, what would be the formalities required for that? and what are the duties applicable on that?

    looking for your reply.. and yes, this is a very well written article.

    sheik umarudeen says:

    hi gagan

    we are running a manufacturing industry in tamilnadu and we have customes throught the nation and now a days we are getting enquiries from foreign buyers and we are not aware of the policies , fob , shipping and documents . can u please help me with the details for exporting and the nature of our manaufactuing goods are all kinds of service station equipments i.e. car washers , hydraulic lifts , air compressors etc

    kranthi says:

    i need help ? can i send saree(cotton cloth) from india to brazil ? can you reply .

    Manirul says:

    I am planning to import ready made garments from Bangladesh, I dont know the process, please help me by stating steps to be taken. What types of documents need to be made from my end.

    Priya says:

    Do we require an import license to buy apparel from China? How much would be the tax? Please advise.

    Thatikonda Raghavender says:

    Good article sir, well I am planning to the export business of jumbo bags to Australia. Its requires any licence of export buss please tell me the details. Its helpful for me. Thank you sir.

    Sridhar says:

    For supply of HMS1&2,should the Seller of this Scrap get registered with DGFT,India?

    Is there any procedures that has to be followed by the Seller or Buyer before commencing the transaction?

    Also please mention whether there is any Base price at which this HMS Scrap should be imported to India.

    Rakesh says:

    Hi ,

    I need to start my own business of Ready made garments shops, I am planning to import clothes form Hongkong china and singpaore in India in a small scale business . I need to know will i require a Import license for doing this business in Inda if yes where i need to apply for the same looking forward for your help on this

    Rob says:

    We are exporters of gaming meat, grains and pulses (Like Field peas, Chick peas , Lentils .etc.,. ) from Australia.
    Can you please let us know if India allows game meat / Deer meat into India? It is supplied legally with health certificate from relevant Govt depts.
    Your post above says wild animals are Prohibited Goods, does it include meat as well?
    Your response greatly appreciated.
    Mob: +61 438011991


    Thank you for your interesting question. We will reach out to you separately now.

    Thanks again,

    Dezan Shira & Associates – India

    girish says:

    I would like to know how to apply for an IEC and import expor licence.The standard procedures for applying export licence? Where are the regional offices are located?
    Your valuable advice is expecting.

    Bart Huffman says:

    We are planning to ship unglazed porcelain tiles from the U.S. to India for a project there. Are there import restrictions imposed on this? What would we expect for duties/VAT, etc. to clear the shipment? Thank you for a good article and your anticipated assistance.

    Mohan says:

    how can i import electronic products/kits from china? what are the applicable duties/taxes? for personal use/ for commercial purpose?

    Aliciya Dias says:

    I own a printing factory, i need to know the formalities to be completed to export my products. which licences and duties will i have to acquire to start as early as possible. Thank you in abundance

    Shanmuga sundaram says:

    We are planning to export busniess from india to Malaysia,
    Can anyone please explain me how to apply for an IEC and import expor licence.The standard procedures for applying export licence? Where are the regional offices are located?
    Your valuable advice is expecting.

    Monika Stoeva says:

    What is the validity of Export license once obtained? For example I would like to export biscuits from India. Once I obtain export license, when I should renew it?

    Sajeer. K. A. says:

    Am planning to import size wood and wooden doors, windows from Indonesia, Malaysia .any suggestion or advice from your side

    Sachin says:

    Which type of license is required to import pet bottle scrap, where I have to apply for it.
    Thanks for excellent article

    Neeraj says:

    I want to import food supplements like protein powder from US and want to know the pre-requisite for the same.
    Like what is import duty
    How to get import license?
    Thank you.

    Ashish Gupta says:

    Dear team,
    i had to import one power supply from USA for my equipment in india.power cost me $80.00 and seller is provide the shipping of $ much import or custom duty is liable to pay.and i have IEC certificate.

    Bala says:

    Hi, I want to export fruits from India (Bangalore) to Sri lanky like Apple etc., please let me know duties how much need to pay and what are the licences I need to take. Same time what are the documents importer need to have. I got contact. But no idea about it. Please give me Co tact details. So will speak in person. Thanks Bala


    Jagadish.G says:

    Dear sir,
    I am from Hyderabad, want to start an Automobile spares Export business, i want to know the Documentation part, what are all the licenses to be taken in starting the exports, other than EXIM licence, please help me out in this regard.

    Hemal says:

    Hi Gunjan

    I went through above articles & all are really very nice, tips are correct & very informative.
    Good job & really appreciated!

    We are grain exporter from Australia and our clients wants to import chickpea to India. My clients have IEC code but they are not sure what other import permission require for this and also any packaging requirements as we exports as bulk fill in container (loose fill), any import duty?

    If you could advise on this would be a great help!
    You can also contact me on +61430303395


    sudeep says:

    I would like to start exporting gens shirts and Jeans. What is the produce for exporting licence and what is the tax% for cloth material export

    Bala Ganesh says:

    I would like to import an electronic gadget, similar to external hard disk drive, what are the import duties applicable? Please help.

    Hilal says:

    sir i need a consultation regarding importing on a lot of issues.plz give me time for the same.thanks

    pavan kumar says:

    Hi there,

    I wanted to check if there are any export license required for exporting seafood from India. Please share some info. thanks

    Sanjay says:

    Useful and informative article.
    1. I want to import Mobile phone from China , what will custom duty?
    2. What other permissions / certificate required to import phones ?

    Shabbir challawala says:

    I would like to know the procedure for applying for import license for procuring Tools & Power Tools items from China.Also let me know under which category these items comes and what will be the tax slab.Thank you.

    siddharth Singh says:

    Hello ,

    I want to buy (import) micro sd cards from firm based in China mainland, do I require license for this and if so what is percentage of import duty I have to pay?

    Neeraj says:

    Hi Gunjan,

    Please help me in knowing the import duty on supplement powders and do I need to have import license if I import more than 200 kgs of it.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Thank you for your query, please contact our service team at

    Kiran says:

    what is procedure and laws for exporting banana and pomegranade to EU countries.

    Krishna says:

    Hi Gunjan,
    I planning to import and expert Bakery food iteams in India only, I have fssai and GST license. is any licence require for the same?? Pls suggest

    Krishna says:

    Hi gunjan,
    I planing to import export Bakery food products in India I hav fssai and GST license, is any more license require for the same?? Pls suggest

    Kapil says:

    I really appreciate your responses to all the queries in detail. I wanted to find out what is the minimum and maximum time for a pvt ltd company to get an importer’s licence. If we were to apply for the importers license today, after how many working days we would get it and what would be its validity. We plan to import GPS devices from Singapore.

    Is there a way to speed up the waiting time for obtaining the importer’s licence

    Ramachandran says:

    Hi.. This is Ramachandran
    I have planned to import electric bikes from china.
    1.What is the procedure to import in India?.
    2. How much % duty in custom clearance?.
    3. What are all the documents required to submit in custom?.
    4. If import license required, how to get the same?
    Kindly guide me.

    waiting for your reply.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Leishangthem Homen says:

    I am planning to import motorbike, ATV, UTV from china. Is there free trade among the ASEAN country? Is there any possibility to transport the import items land route via Myanmar? Please let me know all the requirements of the import. Can I get IEC from my state? Your sympathetic reply is exigency to me Respected Sir.

    sajid says:

    i wanted to export coffe beans in bulk (for trading) … what is the policy?

    sowmiya says:

    i am planning to import materials for broiler poultry EC shed from china to India. what are the steps to follow to import . let me know the procedure…


    Dear Sir,
    I am interested in importing low quality coconut copra from please specify me the custom duty rate and is there any special license in India to import copra? Please clarify my doubt.

    With regards,

    Ajit Singh says:

    I want to import pulses from Brazil and Myanmar. What kind of licence I need and in which category this items falls.

    Varun puri says:

    Hello sir,
    I am from Himachal Pradesh.I have a registered firm and I have taken GST NO.I want to import Non woven carry bags making machine from China. Please suggest me ..1) How should I proceed..?
    2) Types of license and other document required for it.
    3) custome duty and other duties.
    4) Should I involve intermediator or i should directly import.?
    Varun puri

    daksha pandya says:

    Hi Gunjan
    We are a UK based company with quite a few suppliers from India; supplying finished clothing/Jewellery and footwear. Our suppliers appear to be confused with regards how the new GST system interacts with the Duties. We were under the impression that as they will be able to reclaim any GST suffered as the goods exported will be zero rated; this should help with any Duties which would be chargeable. This should reduce the Duty burden (if goods imported into India first); however they feel that this new system is adding a further cost to their goods. Would you be able to clarify?
    Thanks for a really good article and the technical knowledge you are imparting.

    rajesh kumar says:

    I am planing gemstone and rough gemstone import from Sri Lanka and Thailand to India .ples guide me

    Chandu says:

    Hi Mr. Gunjan, We are bicycle chain manufacturers from china..we are planning to export chains to INDIA from china and also from Vietnam. SO can u please find me some information and taxes for shipment.

    Koushan says:

    Hi Chandu,

    Thank you for your query.
    In response to your question, we have sent you an email to

    India Briefing

    Koushan says:

    Hi Rajesh,

    Thank you for your query.
    In response to your question, we have sent you an email to

    India Briefing

    Timsy Banati says:

    Animal vaccination s come in what category?
    Also if I hand over a product by hand in India to a representative of a foreign company
    Will that define export
    If I randomly buy from a wholesaler and resell animal vaccination what rules or law I keep in mind?

    Timsy Banati says:

    A material used for animal vaccine manufacturing will it come under prohibited for export?

    Akanksha says:

    Hi Gunjan,
    Thank you for writing such a informatory article.
    I am looking forward to export Indian spices & instant food items to countries like US, UAE, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
    Kindly guide on types of permissions/licenses required to ok enable the same.


    c. sashikkumar says:

    need to know the procedures of getting export lincese.
    also want to know if plastic food cups for exports need export license


    I wish to improt water flow meter and energy meter componenents from usa and after assembling 80% of material we wish to re export to other countries. Can you please provide the informaton about the taxes related to the above for both import & export.

    Ritu says:

    If i want to import leather bags or just leather from Italy, what legal barriers and import restrictions i will be charged for?


    How to File Shipping Bill or Procedure and Document for Filling Shipping Bill?

    Thank you for your query. Our service team will get in contact with you shortly.

    Thank you for your query. Our service team will get in touch with you shortly.

    @Anish. Thank you for writing to us! A member of our team will be in contact regarding your query shortly. If you have any further questions, please contact us here or at

    Arul Anish says:

    I am currently working in Germany and my company is planning to start Electronics Hardware sales in india so what are the license we should get in india to import from germany? and what is the tax percentage of electronic hardware parts?

    YoMan says:

    Hi Gunjan, I am planning to export INR22K worth of artificial jewelry from Jaipur to Singapore, to be sold by consignee in Singapore. I don’t have IEC code, but have TIN number, commercial invoice from my supplier. Can you pls advise what are the documents required from sender ? Is there any documents required for consignee? What will be the tax/duty payable by consignee in the receiving country? thanks

    Ahammed Sheheer says:

    If i want to import scaps from Dubai, what legal barriers and import restrictions i will be charged for?

    @YoMan. Thank you for writing to India Briefing. One of our service providers will contact you shortly.

    @Ahammed. Thank you for writing to India Briefing. One of our service providers will be in touch with you shortly.

    @Arul. Thank you for writing to India Briefing. One of our service providers will be in touch with you shortly.

    Vishal says:

    Hi sirji,

    Trying to import door hardware and furniture items for sale in India . Can you help me with documentations reuqired to keep for all such imports . Have applied for GST and IE. Is dealer code important and a part of these applications. Vishal

    Satyawan Sharma says:

    Hi, I am planning to export INR 15 lacs worth of Air Compressor from Assam to Bhutan, to be used by consignee in Mining and Construction work there in Bhutan. I don’t have IEC code, but have GSTIN number, commercial invoice from my supplier. Can you please advise what are the documents required from me (sender) ? Is there any documents required for consignee? What will be the tax/duty payable by consignee in the receiving country?
    Thanks & regards,
    satyawan Sharma

    @satyawansharma, thank you for your query. The DGFT’s notification dated March 12, 2015 states that there will be three mandatory documents for export and import. For exports, it is Bill of Lading/Airway Bill; Commercial Invoice cum Packing List; and Shipping Bill/Bill of Export. Since the implementation of the GST, the PAN and GSTIN should suffice.
    For more information, please reach out to our services team,

    As per the DGFT’s Notification dated 12-3-2015, only three documents are mandatory for imports – Bill of Lading/ Airway Bill; Commercial Invoice cum Packing List; and Shipping Bill/ Bill of Export. Authorized Dealer Code (AD code) is a letter received from your bank mentioning the bank’s authorized dealer code which is provided to all banks in India. Once you have obtained your IEC, if you intend to import or export, you need to register your IEC and AD code details with the port through which you are exporting or importing.
    For more information and support, you can reach out to our services team,

    hey i am sarvottam i read this blog it is literally good information sharing blog thank you for sharing

    hey i am sarvottam and i have applied for import export licence can you provide me info about that and also procedure that how to get fast thank you

    Hi Sarvottam. Thanks for your query! For information and assistance, you can reach out to our India service team at:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.