India’s Latest Coronavirus Updates
(This article was last updated September 25, 2020.)
September 25, 2020
- 75 percent of the newly confirmed COVID-19 cases reported during a period of 24 hours in India are concentrated in 10 states and union territories, said the country’s health ministry on Thursday. The 10 states and UTs are: Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Delhi, Kerala, West Bengal. and Chhattisgarh.
Maharashtra continues to top this list, contributing to more than 21,000 cases, followed by Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka with more than 7,000 and 6,000 COVID-19 cases, respectively.
- 86,052 new cases and 1,141 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
- India’s total case tally is at 5,818,571 including 970,116 active cases, 4,756,164 cured/discharged cases, and 92,290 deaths: Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
September 24, 2020
- 86,508 newly confirmed cases were reported yesterday and 1,129 deaths. India’s total tally has crossed 5.7 million, including 966,382 active cases, 4,674,987 cured/discharged cases, and 91,149 deaths, according to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
September 23, 2020
- Parliament today gave its approval to The Taxation and Other Laws (Relaxation and Amendment of Certain Provisions) Bill, 2020, which seeks to replace an ordinance and make few other changes in direct and indirect tax laws. The relief outlined in the bill include extending deadlines for filing returns and for linking PAN and Aadhaar. The Bill amends the provisions of the Income Tax Act to provide the same tax treatment to PM-CARES Fund as available to the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund.
- 83,347 new cases and 1,085 deaths were recorded in the last 24 hours, according to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. India’s total COVID tally is 5,646,011, including 968,377 active cases, 4,587,613 discharged cases. The death toll is at 90,020.
September 22, 2020
- 75,083 newly confirmed cases and 1,053 deaths were reported in this morning’s health ministry update. That brings India’s total tally of COVID-19 cases to 5,562,664: 975,861 active cases, 4,497,867 discharged cases, and 88,935 deaths.
September 21, 2020
- With a spike of 86,961 new cases and 1,130 deaths reported in the last 24 hours, India’s total COVID-19 case tally stands at 5,487,580. The death toll has reached 87,882. Active cases as of this morning’s official update from the health ministry are 1,003,299 and recoveries are 4,396,399.
September 18, 2020
- India’s COVID-19 tally surged to 5,214,677 after 96,424 new cases and 1,174 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
- As per the health ministry’s Friday morning update, India currently has 1,017,754 active cases, 4,112,551 cured/discharged cases. The death toll is at 84,372.
September 17, 2020
- India reported a world record daily high of 97,894 new cases and 1,132 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per Thursday’s update from the health ministry.
- Total COVID-19 cases in the country are at 5,118,254, including 1,009,976 active cases, 4,025,079 discharged cases, and 83,198 deaths.
September 16, 2020
- As per the data from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Maharashtra is the most affected state by the pandemic with 292,174 active COVID-19 cases. Karnataka has 98,555 active cases, Andhra Pradesh (92,353), Uttar Pradesh (67,335), and Delhi (29,787).
- Total confirmed cases are 5,020,360, which includes 995,933 active cases and 3,942,361 recovered/discharged cases. With 1,290 additional deaths, the death toll is at 82,066.
- India’s total tally crossed 5 million after 90,123 new cases were reported in the last 24 hours.
September 15, 2020
- India reported 83,809 new cases and 1,054 deaths in the last 24 hours. This brings the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases to 4,930,236, including 990,061 active cases 3,859,399 discharged cases, and 80,776 deaths.
September 14, 2020
- India is now just behind the United States in terms of total infections but is showing a faster growth in infections than anywhere else in the world. India has been adding more daily cases than the US since mid-August.
- There are currently 986,598 active cases in India.
- India added 92,071 new coronavirus cases and 1,136 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per Monday’s official update from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The country’s total tally is nearing 5 million with 4,846,427 confirmed COVID-19 cases. The death toll stands at 79,722.
- Delhi recorded 4,235 coronavirus cases on Sunday, taking the city’s total tally to 218,304, including 28,812 active cases. There are 1,488 containment zones in Delhi.
- On Saturday, September 12, India had reported 97,570 new infections of coronavirus recorded over 24 hours, beating its daily record for a second consecutive day. The capital, Delhi, had also recorded its biggest single-day jump with 4,321 fresh cases.
September 11, 2020
- India recorded the highest single-day spike with 96,551 newly confirmed cases yesterday and reported 1,209 deaths.
- As per the health ministry, India’s COVID-19 tally stands at 4,562,415, including 943,480 active cases, 3,542,663 discharged cases, and 76,271 deaths.
September 10, 2020
- India registered 95,735 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 1,172 deaths yesterday.
- The country’s total COVID-19 tally stands at 4,465,864, including 919,018 active cases, 3,471,783 cured/discharged cases, and 75,062 deaths.
- The total number of samples tested for COVID-19 in India up to September 9 is 52,934,433 – including 1,129,756 samples tested on September 8 alone: Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
September 9, 2020
- India’s total case tally stands at 4,370,129, including 897,394 active cases, 3,398,845 discharged cases, and 73,890 deaths.
- According to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, 89,706 new cases and 1,115 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
September 7, 2020
- Metro services resumed across the country today.
- India’s COVID-19 tally is now at 4,204,613 confirmed cases, including 882,542 active cases, 3,250,429 cured/discharged cases, and 71,642 deaths.
- 90,802 newly confirmed cases and 1,016 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
- India has overtaken Brazil as the country with the second highest total number of confirmed coronavirus cases.
September 4, 2020
- India’s COVID-19 tally rose to 3,936,747 confirmed cases with 69,921 new cases and 819 fatalities.
- India has 8,311,24 active cases, 3,037,151 recovered cases, and 68,472 deaths.
September 3, 2020
- India registered another record single-day jump with 83,883 new coronavirus cases; 1,043 deaths were recorded in the last 24 hours.
- India now has recorded a total of 3,853,406 confirmed cases, including 815,538 active cases, 2,970,492 discharged/cured cases, and 67,376 deaths.
September 2, 2020
- India registered 78,357 new COVID-19 cases and reported 1,045 deaths in the last 24 hours.
- Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, UP, and Tamil Nadu account for 56 percent of the new cases.
- Total coronavirus cases in India have reached 3,769,523, including 801,282 active cases, 2,901,908 cured/ discharged cases, and 66,333 deaths.
September 1, 2020
- Today is the start of Unlock 4, which will reopen more of the Indian economy. Yesterday’s release of GDP figures for Q1/the April-June quarter, showed a contraction of 23.9 percent due to the collapse in consumer spending, private investment, manufacturing activity, and exports under lockdown imposed as a result of the pandemic. Restarting the economy will require a delicate balance to be maintained between necessary restrictions to ensure public health and safety while also rolling back restrictions, such as on transport and those affecting the services industries. This will be implemented differently across the states and regions within each state as the spread of the virus is not homogeneous and has/will peak at different times.
- 69,921 new cases of coronavirus and 819 new deaths were reported in this morning’s government update. India’s COVID-19 case tally reached 3,691,167, which includes 785,996 active cases, 2,839,883 cured/discharged cases, and 65,288 fatalities. The recovery rate is at 76.94 percent.
August 31, 2020
- During Unlock 4, there will be no restriction on the inter-state and intra-state movement of persons and goods and no separate permissions/e-permits will be required for such movement. Metro rail services will resume September 7; the lockdown will continue till September 30 in containment zones.
- Unlock 4.0: The next phase of the gradual reopening of India’s economy will begin tomorrow, called Unlock 4.0.
- India recorded 78,512 new coronavirus cases yesterday, taking the total confirmed case count to 3,621,245, according to the Monday update from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW). On Sunday, India reported 78,761 new cases. 971 fatalities were recorded in the last 24 hours as per the MoHFW.
- Active cases in the country has reached 781,975; 2774801 cases have been discharged/cured; the death toll is at 64,469. The recovery rate has risen to 76.62 percent and the fatality rate declined to 1.78 percent.
August 28, 2020
- India recorded another single-day highest rise with 77,266 new cases getting added Thursday and recorded 1,057 new deaths, as per this morning’s update from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The total COVID-19 case tally in the country is now at 3,387,500.
- Active cases are at 742,023; discharged/cured cases – 2,583,948; total fatalities – 61,529
August 27, 2020
- Resurgence in cases noted in Delhi, Kerala, Telangana.
- India’s total cases reach 3,310,234 after registering 75,760 new COVID-19 cases yesterday, led by the highest single-day rise in cases in the states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh.
- Total case fatalities reached 60,472 after 1,023 new deaths.
- There are 725,991 active cases of COVID-19 as of today’s morning update by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- Maharashtra is the most affected state with 173,195 active COVID-19 cases and 23,089 case fatalities.
- The top five worst affected states in India by total number (recoveries, deaths, and active cases) of coronavirus cases recorded as per MoHFW reporting are:
1. Maharashtra – 718,711
2. Tamil Nadu – 397,261
3. Andhra Pradesh – 382,469
4. Karnataka – 300,406
5. Uttar Pradesh – 203,028
August 26, 2020
- Unlock 4.0, the next phase of reopening India’s economy will begin September 1. Details are awaited on how rules will be implemented; the resumption of metro services, which were closed March 22, is being considered.
- India recorded 67,151 new COVID-19 cases yesterday, taking the total tally to 3,234,474. There were 1,059 new fatalities bringing the death toll to 59,449. Active cases in the country are at 707,267.
August 25, 2020
- The Indian government is now allowing the free export of 2/3 ply surgical masks and medical coveralls of all classes. Free export of face shields is also allowed. Medical goggles continue to remain in the ‘restricted’ category with the monthly quota fixed at 2 million units. The export of nitrile/NBR gloves continues to be prohibited.
- India is also allowing the restricted export of N-95/FFP2 masks – the monthly export quota is fixed at 5 million units. The eligibility criteria of applicants for the issuance of an export license to export N-95/FFP2 masks will issued in a separate trade notification by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT). India’s personal protective equipment (PPE) industry has grown almost overnight since the pandemic broke out in the country; the easing of trade restrictions will boost local production capacity and revenue scope.
- 60,975 new infections were registered yesterday, raising India’s total COVID-19 case tally to 3,167,323, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare reported this morning. Fatalities rose to 58,390 after 848 new deaths were recorded.
- At the same time, the total number of recoveries in India have reached 2,404,585, showing a close to 76 percent recovery rate, as of this morning. There are 704,348 active cases in the country.
- The capital, Delhi, reported 1,544 new COVID-19 cases yesterday; 1,155 cases were discharged/cured and 17 deaths were registered. Delhi’s total number of cases is now at 164,071, including 147,743 recovered cases, 11,998 active cases, and 4,330 deaths.
August 24, 2020
- India registered 61,408 new cases in the last 24 hours, according to this morning’s update from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. India’s total tally of COVID-19 cases have now reached 3,106,349 – the last million new cases were recorded in 16 days. 836 deaths were recorded on Sunday, bringing the death toll to 57,542.
- Currently, there are 710,771 active cases in the country; 2,338,035 cases have been discharged/cured.
- Case fatality rate for coronavirus patients is now at 1.85 percent in India; the recovery rate has risen to 75.27 percent.
- India is focused on improving its recovery rate and increasing testing capacity. According to the ICMR, a total of 35,902,137 samples have been tested for COVID-19 – till August 23; 609,917 samples were tested on Sunday.
August 21, 2020
- India’s total COVID-19 case tally is at 2,905,823 after 68,898 fresh cases were reported yesterday, according to the latest data released by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- India registered 983 deaths on Thursday, taking the death toll to 54,849.
- According to the State Health Department of Haryana, the total number of COVID cases in Haryana have risen to more than 50,000 with 996 new cases and 11 deaths. However, the number of active cases are 7,555. Faridabad and Gurugram (formerly Gurgaon), which are industrial and IT hubs adjacent to the capital Delhi and part of the National Capital Region, are among some of the most affected districts. Faridabad has 685 actve cases and Gurugram has 755 active cases. The data released by the Haryana state, and reported in the Indian Express, may be accessed here.
August 20, 2020
- India recorded its highest daily infection case load with 69,672 new COVID-19 cases. This is the fourth-highest daily case load reported globally; the US exceeded this number three times in the second half of July.
- Total cases in the country are at 2.84 million; the death toll is at 53,886.
August 19, 2020
- 64,531 tested positive yesterday as per the health ministry’s update this morning, bringing India’s total COVID-19 tally to 2,767,273.
- The recovery rate is at 73.64 percent with 2,037,870 recoveries so far. Active cases in the country are at 676,514.
- The death toll is now 52,889 after 1,092 new COVID-19 fatalities.
August 18, 2020
- India’s total COVID-19 tally rose 2,702,742, including 673,166 active cases, 1,977,779 discharged/cured cases, and 51,797 deaths. Yesterday, India recorded 55,079 new cases and registered 876 deaths.
- As per the government, “India conducted 899,864 tests conducted in a single day, the highest tests/day so far. With this, the cumulative tests have reached 30,941,264.”
August 17, 2020
- India reported a single-day spike of 57,981 COVID-19 cases and 941 deaths yesterday. The total case tally is now 2,647,663 and the death toll has reached 50,921.
- Active cases in the country are at 676,900.
August 14, 2020
- 64,553 people tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday, bringing India’s total confirmed cases to 2,461,190. India ranks third in the world for most confirmed cases after US, Brazil.
- 1,007 deaths were recorded yesterday, raising the death toll to 48,040.
- There are 661,595 active cases in the country.
August 13, 2020
- India reported another highest single-day spike in new coronavirus cases at 66,999 today. This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 2,396,637.
- 942 deaths were recorded in the last 24 hours; total COVID-19 fatalities in the country are now at 47,033. India has now overtaken Britain as the country with the fourth-highest COVID-19 deaths. However, India’s COVID-19 case fatality rate of 2 is admittedly much lower and about 34 deaths per million; that number is in the hundreds in many other countries with smaller populations.
- The number of active COVID-19 cases in India is now 653,622 as per the health ministry’s daily morning update.
- The Indian pharmaceutical company, Zydus Cadila, will sell the cheapest generic version of the antiviral drug remdesivir (by Gilead Sciences) in India, pricing it at INR 2,800 (US$37.44) per 100mg vial.
August 12, 2020
- India’s COVID-19 tally has reached 2,329,639 with 60,963 new confirmed cases reported yesterday. The total number of deaths rose to 46,091 after 834 new deaths were recorded over 24 hours.
- Recoveries in the country rose to 1,583,490, according to the health ministry. India recorded its highest single day recovery on Tuesday with 56,110 COVID-19 patients cured/discharged.
- There are 643,948 active COVID-19 cases in India as of Wednesday’s morning update by the Union health ministry.
- A total of 26,015,297 samples have been tested so far in India, as per the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
August 11, 2020
- India’s tally of confirmed cases reached 2,268,675, including 639,929 active cases, 1,583,489 discharged/cured cases, and 45,257 deaths. 53,601 new infections were reported yesterday and 871 new fatalities. The recovery rate is at 69.80%.
- Prime Minister Modi held a video conference meeting with the chief ministers from 10 Indian states to discuss their COVID-19 situation: Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Maharashtra, Punjab, Bihar, Gujarat, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh.
August 10, 2020
- India reported 62,064 new coronavirus cases and 44,386 deaths yesterday, bringing the total confirmed COVID-19 tally to 2,215,075.
- Active cases in the country are at 634,945.
- India has recorded a recovery rate of 70% as of date; highest ever single-day recoveries of 54,859 were reported in the last 24 hours.
August 7, 2020
- Total confirmed COVID-19 cases in India reached 2,027,074 after a record 62,538 new cases were reported yesterday. Active cases in the country are 607,384 and those recovered are 1,378,105. Total death toll is at 41,585 with 886 deaths recorded on Thursday.
- The Serum Institute of India (SII) has entered into a new landmark partnership with Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to accelerate the manufacture and delivery of up to 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines for India and other low- and middle-income countries by 2021.
- India’s most affected states by way of total confirmed cases are: Maharashtra (479,779), Tamil Nadu (279,144), Andhra Pradesh (196,789), Karnataka (158,254), and the capital Delhi (141,531).
- Businesses and defaulters whose compliance reporting schedules have been disrupted due to the COVID-19 outbreak still have time to file their documents till September 30, 2020. Read more here: India’s Schemes to Ease Compliance Burden on Companies due to COVID-19.
- Find out the extended tax deadlines for 2020: India Extends Key Tax Deadlines Again for Businesses in 2020 due to COVID-19.
August 6, 2020
- India reported 56,282 new cases yesterday, pushing the total COVID-19 count to 1,964,536.
- There are 595,501 active cases and 1,328,336 cases have been cured/discharged.
- Total death toll has reached 40,699 after 904 deaths reported yesterday.
August 5, 2020
- India reported 52,509 new confirmed cases yesterday and 857 deaths, taking the total COVID-19 case tally to 1,908,254 and the death toll to 39,795.
- India’s active COVID-19 caseload stands at 586,244 while 1,282,215 people have recovered.
- As per the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, 50% of India’s COVID-19 related fatalities took place in the age group of 60 years and above.
- Gyms and yoga institutes, hotels and weekly markets will remain shut in Delhi. The curfew hours (10 pm – 5 am) restriction has been removed as per Unlock 3.0 guidelines issued on July 31.
August 4, 2020
- 52,050 people tested positive for the coronavirus in the last 24 hours in India as per the health ministry’s official update Tuesday morning. This takes India’s COVID-19 total tally to 1,855,745 confirmed cases. Active cases in the country as on August 4, 08:00 IST was 586,298; cases discharged/cured have reached 1,230,509. India’s death toll due to COVID-19 reached 38,938 after 803 new fatalities were recorded yesterday.
- India has released guidelines for international travel, to be effective starting August 8, 2020. See here for the official notice.
August 1-3, 2020
- India reported 52,972 newly confirmed cases in the last 24 hours in its Monday morning update by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The total tally is now at 1,803,696 confirmed COVID-19 cases. Total deaths are at 38,135.
- Over on the weekend, India reported 57,118 new COVID-19 cases on Saturday morning and nearly 55,000 new cases on Sunday.
- News emerged over the weekend of top Indian central and state government ministers like the home minister Amit Shah and Karnataka state chief minister BS Yediyurappa testing positive for the coronavirus. On Monday, Karti Chidambaram, member of parliament from Tamil Nadu and son of former Union Minister P Chidambaram, tweeted today that he had tested positive for the coronavirus (see here for a report from the news platform NDTV).
- “The total number of Covid-19 samples tested up to August 02 is 20,202,858 – including 3,81,027 samples tested yesterday,” as per the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) on its Twitter bulletin board.
July 31, 2020
- 55,079 people tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday, taking India’s total tally of confirmed cases to 1,638,871.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare reported that India had 545,318 active cases, 1,057,805 cured/discharged cases, and 35,747 deaths as of 08:00 IST today.
July 30, 2020
- India recorded another spike in new cases yesterday, with 52,123 COVID-19 cases confirmed. This takes the total COVID-19 tally to 1,583,792 confirmed cases. The death toll is now at 34,968 with 775 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours. Active cases in the country are at 528,242 with 1,020,582 cured/discharged cases.
- The next phase of rolling back the nationwide lockdown will begin August 1. Called Unlock 3, the new phase will see the night curfew get lifted from August 1 and gyms and yoga centers reopening from August 5. Schools and colleges, metro services, cinemas and swimming pools will stay shut.
- The last date to file your income tax returns for FY2018-19 has been extended once again from July 31, 2020 to September 30, 2020. Previously, the last date to file tax returns for FY2019-20 was extended to November 30, 2020. Also, the deadline for linking the biometric Aadhaar with PAN was extended to March 31, 2021.
- The state of Maharashtra, which has been the most affected by the coronavirus to date, will reopen malls and market complexes starting August 5.
- Delhi’s recovery rate hit 88.9% this week.
Managing your India business under COVID-19
We are also tracking the pandemic in other major regions as well as provide business advisory for China and ASEAN.
China coronavirus updates
Indian businesses with operations in China should follow our China coronavirus advisory here.
Asia coronavirus updates
Indian businesses with operations in ASEAN countries should follow our Asia coronavirus advisory here.
Complimentary business subscription
To subscribe to our India and other Asia Briefing services, free of charge, please click here.
- Establishing a Foreign Company in India In this issue of India Briefing, we provide information on establishing a company in India. We discuss the country’s current business environment, explain the entity structures available to foreign investors in India as well as their functionalities and requirements. Lastly, we answer frequently asked questions.
- Due Diligence for Foreign Companies in India In this issue of India Briefing, we provide information on conducting due diligence in India. We first focus on what is due diligence, and why foreign companies should engage in this process before investing in India. Next, we discuss different types of due diligence and explain their requirements and importance. Lastly, we answer some frequently asked questions.
- Audit in India In this issue of India Briefing, we provide readers with an overview of India’s audit types and processes, including general requirements and materials to be prepared. Lastly, we cover key aspects of conducting the new GST audit, including the types of GST audits, general procedures, and document requirements.