Vladivostok, Tuesday, September 6. Q&A Available
Pavan Kapoor, The Indian Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of India to Russia, along with senior Indian and Russian industrialists, will be discussing the potential opportunities and challenges in the India-Russia trade and investment space at the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok on Tuesday, September 6.
Dezan Shira & Associates Chairman, Chris Devonshire-Ellis, will also be attending the session.
The Forum’s preamble is as follows:
In recent years, Russia and India have seen a steady increase in trade turnover. In 2021, Russian-Indian trade amounted to USD 13.5 billion, which is almost 50% higher than in the pandemic year of 2020. The two countries clearly have a colossal pace of development in their trade and economic relations, yet the potential for cooperation has not been fully realized.
In particular, in order to reach the goal set by the two countries’ leaders of achieving a mutual trade volume equal to USD 30 billion by 2025, trade and joint projects in addition to investment need to be actively developed. At present, Russia and India are implementing joint projects in various sectors: energy, oil, the military-industrial complex, pharmaceuticals, food, and the chemicals industry. They are also strengthening interbank and insurance cooperation, while the volume of trade and mutual investments in the Far East and the Arctic are gradually increasing. The following issues will be discussed:
- What measures are the governments of the two countries taking to solve transport and logistics problems?
- Can sea-based transport become a main route?
- What prospects are there for creating a joint banking and financial entity that is capable of supporting the potential of bilateral trade?
- What areas of cooperation are top priorities?
- What new projects with Indian capital are being planned in the Far East?
Chris Devonshire-Ellis will be available for questions following the event. Please email him for opinion and analysis at firstname.lastname@example.org